Subject: Re: Porting Plug-ins
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 03:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Hanson wrote:

>   While I wholeheartedly agree with you Ernie, I believe that Doug's
> statement is true in the specific context that it was originally stated
> in, that being that Lightwave Plug-In ports are rather simple.
> 
>   Same API for all platforms. Libraries provided. Compile - link - done.

No question, that's one of the cool things about plug-ins.  For simpler
ones, you only have to worry about dumb stuff, like byte order, and
non-programming issues, like actually getting the code compiled and
then selling it in different markets.

But folks need to know that if your plug-in has a happenin' interface,
you've still got a non-trivial amount of programming to do.

Just an all-purpose mea culpa for those of us trying to stay on top of
three or four environments simultaneously.  (I have about 10,000 pages
of Amiga programming docs and probably twice that for Windows.  My head
really hurts some days.  [Insert sound of world's smallest violin.])

- Ernie

--
Ernie Wright <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]